I don't run with an ipod, or friends or even Barney. It's too distracting. I really love having that time to clear my head and gather my thoughts. It is really the best part of my day because I feel so much better after I run, even when my body is hurting. I think JJ has started to notice how much easier I am to get along with I am on days I get in a good workout.
Originally I had planned to take a break from running after the race to let my body recover fully. I was really excited about 2 weeks of yoga and the elliptical machine at the YMCA. Well, I will be getting my 2 week break, but I won't be at the Y or the yoga studio. I will be hobbling around the house on crutches due to a self-diagnosed stress fracture. Yes, self diagnosed. Why would I go to all the hassle of visiting the doctor when I have WebMD at my finger tips and JJ's access to the Panther's medical equipment?
According to my research, stress fractures are quite common in female athletes (mainly distance runners, due to the repetitive motion over extended periods of time) who have recently had a sudden, significant increase in their activity level. I'd say a half marathon counts as a sudden significant increase in my activity level. It also said that most stress fractures are not detected on x-rays and are usually diagnosed based on patient exercise history. Like I said...who needs a doctor??
I made the mistake of sharing my self diagnosis with my father who was not impressed. Silly dad, he just doesn't understand. I did reassure him that I was going to use the crutches for a week and then if it was still hurting I would go to the doctor for a real diagnosis.
Well, this is day 6...
Booty boot boot. I love your boot. And can't wait to see it... AND YOOOOU!!!!
ReplyDelete