July was an absolute whirlwind of travel all up and down the East Coast. We explored amazing cities, spent time with friends and family, went to baseball games, and finally took advantage of living on the East Coast.
First Stop, Washington, DC! There are thousands of reasons to visit DC, (like the White House, the Capitol, countless museums, historic sites, monuments...the list goes on and on) but my main reson for coming was to see Robin and meet her new boyfriend Dan. (Side note: Dan passed all my tests and has been officially welcomed into the circle of trust. And another bonus, now that I have met him I can comment on all of his facebook posts with feeling like a super creep!)
Back to our travels...we stayed downtown at the Renaissance, right by the Chinatown Metro stop (great location for seeing all the sights). Our first day was spent getting the official Robin and Dan tour of the city. We saw all the big stuff and then decided to cool off for a bit in the American History Museum. The coolest thing was saw was the original Star-Spangled banner. It was waaaay bigger than i thought it would be. That night we had a fabulous dinner at PS7 near our hotel.
We eventually got closer, but this was our first view of the Capitol
On the 4th of July we hopped on the metro and headed to the Nationals game. Both JJ and I love baseball (JJ much more than me, but I love going to the games), and one of our goals is to see a game in every major league stadium. We are currently at 4 of like 30? Baby steps...
Nationals Park, check!
So glad I was with Robin when she got to meet her favorite from the President's Race
After the game, we bought a picnic dinner and drinks and sat out on the Mall to watch the fireworks. I would post some pictures, but it was so hot and we were all sweaty and none of the pictures are remotely flattering. Despite the sweltering heat, it was an awesome experience to celebrate the 4th in our nation's capital.
Before we got on the train to Philadelphia the next day, we spent some time at the Air and Space Museum. It was pretty cool, but I don't think I appreciated it nearly as much as my dad or dad-in-law would have!
It was a great trip, but not enough time to experience it all. Robin and I are already planning on me coming out again to get beyond a lot of the typical touristy stuff and get to see all of the things she has discovered as a local. I hope she's ready for another visit :)
No comments:
Post a Comment