Sunday, July 10, 2011

Jury Duty

It seems I am more unbiased than I thought...I was selected as lucky Juror #7 for a trial in early May. I can say, however, the selection process could use a little work...juror #9 had to be dismissed right before we went to deliberations because someone finally realized he didn't speak English. Hmmm...wish they could have figured that one out during voir dire (thank you B-LAW).

Because I found the whole process incredibly interesting, I will share a few details. The case was a road rage/drive by shooting incident involving a former marine and a mother and her 13 year old son. As the story goes (and I emphasize the word story because they are all telling their version of the events in a way to make themselves look good) the marine was trying to merge onto the 101 in Chandler and the mom wouldn't let him in her lane and he ended up in the emergency lane which really ticked him off. After he got onto the freeway, he sped up to get even with her car and threw a cup of hot chocolate out his window, which landed on her windshield causing her to not be able to see out of it (I actually think his wife, who was also in the car, did it and he was covering for her). (Count 1: endangerment) After her vision was impaired, she began driving recklessly, braking repeatedly and swerving, and somehow ended up in front of the marine. He interpreted this as her trying to cause him to get in an accident, and he "feared for his life". At this point he took his giant 45 semi-automatic handgun out of the center console, stuck his hand out the driver side window and fired one shot that went through her license plate and landed in a speaker box in the trunk (Counts 2-5: drive by shooting, discharging a firearm at an occupied structure, aggravated assault, aggravated assault) After getting shot at, this woman decided to follow this guy (with her 13 year old son in the car) to get his plate number. After he saw her following him, he called a lawyer and then the police to "alert them of her terrible driving and explain that he fired his gun in response".

I had never seen a live case (except the one I saw for 30 minutes to get extra credit in college) and it was incredibly fascinating to see it from start to finish. I had a hard time convicting a former service member, and really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but there was just no way to justify his behavior in the end. I had always assumed I would automatically condemn anyone who was on trial, but I ended up feeling sorry for him (and his pregnant wife who was sitting in the courtroom crying most of the time). I guess you never know how you feel until you are actually in the situation.

The trial lasted about 5 days and I didn't sleep well any of those nights. There is so much pressure holding someone else's future in your hands. It is terribly humbling. How can we, as fellow sinners, justly judge another person? It gave me so much to think about and made me thankful that God is the ultimate judge, the only perfect one who can fairly and accurately judge.

I hope everyone gets the opportunity to serve on a jury at some point in their lives, but be prepared for the magnitude of the experience.

In the end, this guy was convicted on all 5 counts and 2-5 were bumped up to "Dangerous Offense" which adds severity to the charge because it was with a deadly weapon. For the sake of my curiosity, I found this guy on the prison website and he was sentenced to 8.5 years for an incident that took no more than 4 minutes. Makes you think about daily decisions a little more doesn't it?

OK, off my soap box...for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment