Thursday, April 15, 2010

Almost Famous

Tonight JJ and I took Barney for a walk. The weather has been beautiful and Barney needed to get rid of some energy. We walked out the front door and before we even got all the way down the driveway two little boys (around 10) rode their bikes up to us. I was really just an observer of this whole encounter because they weren't interested in anything I had to say.

The conversation goes as follows:

Little Boy #1: "We heard a football player lives here."
JJ: "Uh yea, that's me."
Little Boy #2: "Are you JJ Jansen?"
JJ: "Yes."
Little Boy #2: "You really play for the Panthers?"
JJ: "I do."
Little Boy #1: "Wow. You must be really rich."
JJ: "Uhhhhhhhh, no. Not really."
Little Boy #2: "Well at least you're famous."
JJ: "Haha, no."
Little Boy #2: "How old are you?"
JJ: "I'm 24."
Little Boy #1: You're really tall."
JJ: "Yea, I'm about 6'3"."
Little Boy #1: "No, I mean you're really tall for your age."
JJ: "Well, I think I'm done growing."
Little Boy #2: "How big is the ball you play with?"
JJ: [awkward hand gestures]
Little Boy #1: "What position do you play?"
JJ: "I'm the long snapper."
Little Boy #2: "What's that?!?" (Once again, no one has any idea what exactly it is that JJ does.)
JJ: "I snap the ball to the punter and the kicker."
Little Boy #1: "Don't you want to play another position?"
JJ: "They won't let me."

This continued for a few more minutes until the boys were called home for dinner. I was to the side giggling to myself during the entire exchange. I was pretty impressed with the rapid fire style of questioning these two kids had come up with. Most likely, one of the neighbors told them about JJ, because I'm guessing they didn't recognize him from his online roster picture.

3 comments:

  1. My favorite is "Don't you want to play another position?" "They won't let me." And by the way. I think you're making up that long snapper position. Nobody REALLY does that, do they??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha I'm trying to get sleepy, and then your funny stories get me all giggly!

    Good thing I'm super sporty and TOTALLY have JJ's job figured out... Cut to the Jets game last year:
    B: "Ummmm, Laura. Is JJ sure he's allowed to be on the field right now?? No one else on his team is on the field yet!!"
    L: "Ummm, I think he's got it under control."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish your blog had a "like" button.

    LIKE

    ReplyDelete