Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gone Fishing

Yes, I know the correct form is Gone Fishin, but I believe that only true outdoorsy, real fishermen type people should be allowed to say that. And JJ and I are not that type.

When Hunter (I mean seriously, even his name is outdoorsy) called to invite us fishing, we actually had to ask him what we should wear. His response? "Oh that's cute." After being told we could just wear jeans and t-shirts, I looked at JJ and explained that I don't own outdoorsy jeans and no, I would not be wearing my Michael Kors jeans to go fishing. I settled on yoga pants and a grey t-shirt (to make JJ feel more comfortable). JJ wore the only pair of jeans he owns and his Dunder Mifflin 5K shirt (if you know what I am referring to, we will be best friends for life).

We headed south on 77 to South Carolina and met Hunter and Jordan at the bait shop. I'm not going to lie to you, the bait shop was an experience all in itself. The parking lot was full of old pickup trucks and camouflage. And in case I was at all confused as to what type of people frequented this store, a man wearing a shirt emblazoned with the word "Redneck" strolled out the front door. Needless to say, the yoga pants did not fit in.

After awkwardly wandering around the snack section of the bait shop while waiting for Hunter and Jordan to pick out what we would needed (because we didn't know what to look at) we headed out to the pond. The pond is on the property of a friend of a friend who has over 100 acres outside of Rock Hill, SC. It is a beautiful property and very relaxing being out in the country like that.

Hunter handed JJ and I fishing poles and taught us how to cast and then set me up with minnows for bait. As much as I was trying to really get into this, I just couldn't handle putting the minnows on the hook. I'm not so much a fan of handling live fish (or birds, or bugs, or reptiles...).

We spent about an hour without much action, but finally Hunter got a bite and let me reel it in. Pretty exciting for a fishing newbie. I kind of gave up after that because I achieved my goal (touching the fish) and my arm was getting tired and I had lost the original minnow on my hook and didn't want to deal with putting another one on and I was more interested in watching the beaver that was swimming in the pond about 50 yards away. (Does that sound like enough excuses?) I was actually a lot happier just enjoying view and the weather sitting in the grass.



Even though I have been making fun of it a little, we both had a really good time. It doesn't get much better than good company and new experiences in my opinion. We'll see if they invite us back again...

1 comment:

  1. 1. Look at your cute fishy!! I will pretend you put it right back in the water to go play with Flounder and the like.
    2. JJ has a Dunder Mifflin 5K shirt?! Bhahaha that blows the Theta 5K out of the water. I knew I liked that hubby of yours...

    ReplyDelete