In order to pump myself up for the drive, I convinced everyone to make Fort Worth the first stopping point. It was a 15 hour drive so it was good to get a big chunk out of the way, but my main motivation for getting to Fort Worth the first night was the thought of Fuzzy's fish tacos for a late night dinner. It really doesn't get much better.
The road trip was nothing short of exhausting, but we did make it! Here are a few notes from the emails I sent to friends and family during the journey:
DAY 1- Phoenix to Fort Worth, TX (Arizona, New Mexico and western Texas)
1. Wilcox, AZ- a restaurant called Salsa Fiesta with a Miller Light banner out front advertising "Now serving Chinese food"
2. El Paso- Barney will only go potty in grass so we had to drive around trying to find some green space. A lot harder because El Paso is about the brownest place on earth. We did find a church with some dead grass where he happily peed, but not without getting yelled at by a church elder for not cleaning up after the dog. I'm sorry sir, would you like me to blot the area where he peed with a paper towel?
3. About 30 miles outside of El Paso- being stopped by border patrol to confirm that we are in fact American citizens. Excuse me, but we couldn't be any whiter if we tried.
4. Just before I-10 turns into I-20- Rick was pulled over for going 83 in an 80 zone...really? But don't worry, I got to witness my husband drop the "I play in the NFL" line to the cute female cop to get out of the ticket. I'm so proud.
5. East of Odessa- a man had to pull his car over because he hit a tumbleweed and it got stuck to his bumper.
2. El Paso- Barney will only go potty in grass so we had to drive around trying to find some green space. A lot harder because El Paso is about the brownest place on earth. We did find a church with some dead grass where he happily peed, but not without getting yelled at by a church elder for not cleaning up after the dog. I'm sorry sir, would you like me to blot the area where he peed with a paper towel?
3. About 30 miles outside of El Paso- being stopped by border patrol to confirm that we are in fact American citizens. Excuse me, but we couldn't be any whiter if we tried.
4. Just before I-10 turns into I-20- Rick was pulled over for going 83 in an 80 zone...really? But don't worry, I got to witness my husband drop the "I play in the NFL" line to the cute female cop to get out of the ticket. I'm so proud.
5. East of Odessa- a man had to pull his car over because he hit a tumbleweed and it got stuck to his bumper.
DAY 2- Fort Worth, TX to Atlanta, GA (Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia)
1. Just outside of Monroe, LA- JJ got another chance to drop his "I play for the Panthers" bit. He was driving in the left lane, and in LA the left lane is only for passing. I don't think he would have been given a ticket even without name dropping the Panthers, but he just couldn't resist. Also, it was not a female cop this time. Just a short bald man, who's only response to JJ's NFL status was "Cool". Cool indeed.
2. The anti-littering campaign for Mississippi is "Pick It Up Mississippi". Not as cool as "Don't Mess with Texas", but good try. Maybe someone should pick up the budget for the state's marketing department.
3. Midway through Mississippi- Rick pulled a rosary out of his pocket and prayed. Now I can't be sure of his motives, maybe it was a positive way to fill time, or maybe it had something to do with the fact I had just started my driving shift...you make the call.
4. No one was pulled over in Mississippi. (In reference to #3 I am the only one who was not pulled over the entire drive.)
5. I slept through most of Alabama so nothing really interesting to report, except that they do not have skim milk. Just whole milk. And boiled peanuts. At the gas station.
2. The anti-littering campaign for Mississippi is "Pick It Up Mississippi". Not as cool as "Don't Mess with Texas", but good try. Maybe someone should pick up the budget for the state's marketing department.
3. Midway through Mississippi- Rick pulled a rosary out of his pocket and prayed. Now I can't be sure of his motives, maybe it was a positive way to fill time, or maybe it had something to do with the fact I had just started my driving shift...you make the call.
4. No one was pulled over in Mississippi. (In reference to #3 I am the only one who was not pulled over the entire drive.)
5. I slept through most of Alabama so nothing really interesting to report, except that they do not have skim milk. Just whole milk. And boiled peanuts. At the gas station.
Tuesday night in Atlanta we were lucky enough to meet up with Kathy, Bill, Courtney and Jason to celebrate Courtney's birthday at Terra Terroir in Buckhead. We had a great meal, and it's always good to see family!
Day 3- Atlanta, GA to Charlotte, NC (Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina)
1. I slept the entire way so I missed out on any potentially interesting moments. Oops!
Well at least its over...for now. We will have to do this drive again at some point, but I think I can convince JJ to take a little more time next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment